Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bouncing, but not off the walls.

I am an observant person.  I like to people watch.  These past few days my favorite person to watch has been my wild child.  He's had some wild moments.  

Yesterday he had an exciting day.  He had a field trip and Dad got to go too.  Dad said he was good and no trouble at all.  That's a big improvement over two years ago when he went to the zoo and I was required to accompany him because of his behavior. 

Homework has been less of a struggle, but I can tell when the medicine starts to wear off.  Yesterday was a great homework day, today not so much.  He was starting to lose focus and that's when he gets frustrated with himself.  But with a calm voice (I try) of redirection we got through it.  He is looking forward to tomorrow, Friday, because there is no homework!!

He's still bouncing, but not bouncing off the walls.  He loves to take his medicine.  He thinks he's really something because he can swallow a pill (smaller than a tic tac!!).  I've tried to be very open and honest with him and have asked him how he feels about having ADHD.  I ask him if he thinks the medicine is working.  We've talked about the chemicals in his brain and how the medicine helps them work right.  We've talked about still being responsible for his own behavior.  I want him to grow up understanding his body and brain but also not using this as an excuse.  I want him to succeed and grow and find joy in his own journey through life.  He is definitely one of the joys in my journey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment